> John McKown Wrote:
>
> I'm ignorant of this. But did a search in IBMLink.
>
> It appears that there are "shared libraries" in z/OS UNIX which are loaded
somewhere?
> (not documented where). The size of this area is specified in the
SHRLIBRGNSIZE
> parameter. The load modules loaded into this area are .so UNIX "dynamic
subroutines"
> which are marked as shareable in the filesystem via the "+l" extattr
attribute. This
> area is them mapped into every UNIX address space into "high private". I
would guess
> this would eventually involve IARVSERV.
> http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IEA2A9B0/5.0
> and
> http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-
> bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IEA2A6A1/20.0?SHELF=IEA2BKB2&DT=20101208204043
>
> The larger the area, the more high private is lost in every UNIX address
space which
> attempts to load a shared library. And the more ECSA is used for mapping
tables.

> It appears that if it is too small, it is not used at all and each shared
library is loaded
> into the user's address space as if it were not shared. This increases
I/O.

> So I guess "shared library" region size is like an LLA for UNIX shared
libraries. But I
> don't read of any way for "obsolete" modules to be purged and their
storage
> reclaimed. And there doesn't appear to be any way to actually determine
what is
> loaded. I would guess into some address space or data space controlled by
the UNIX
> kernel.

John and Mike

Thanks.  I guess this is going to be an ETR to IBM.  I am not sure how to
monitor or identify when more is better or if I can use less.  This happened
after an IPL, so I am sure that there are new "UNIX" functions and it tipped
it over this limit.  However, with the lack of research tools (we do D
OMVS,L every hour), it is close to impossible for me to do any type of
capacity management on this area.  I would hope that IBM has tools to list
the shared libraries, modules, usage type information rather than just a
blanket - so much storage available so much storage used.  To me that is
just asking for an outage of a Unix process or system failure of some kind.

If I turn up anything with IBM I will let you know.

This is not something I just want to blindly increase as the documentation
is not clear on how my overall system performance is going to be impacted.

Thanks for the help

Lizette