We have not had ANY token ring applications for years except as required
for mainframe interconnection. Our network folks would be happy to see its
demise altogether.

.
.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             Frank Lawrence
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             UNTRUST.COM>                                               To
             Sent by: IBM              IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
             Mainframe                                                  cc
             Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Token Ring and z9 Processor

             12/19/2005 03:45
             PM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .EDU>

I was surprised to find today that IBM no longer offers OSA Token Ring as
of the introduction of the zSeries z9-109 processor line.  Apparently they
made some statement of direction about this last year, but then who takes
those things seriously.  It's sort of like when IBM responds to a SHARE
requirement with the words "future design consideration" --- you just
don't believe it is really going to happen.

Well, we have a large demand for token ring among out sites, and will have
for at least the next few years.  So, how much demand is out there for
Token Ring in other mainframe customer locations?  If you don't mind
sharing, I'd like to hear back from shops using Token Ring and your
thoughts on how this will impact your upgrade decisions.  Also, if you
have already addressed this limitation with some third party OEM solution,
please share that, too.

- Thanks