On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 17:32:38 -0400, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>"TYPRUN=SCAN is irreparably broken"?  Really?  Examples, please.  The only
>things I have found that TYPRUN=SCAN cannot determine are the existence of
>input datasets...

Well, enticed by the statement in the JCL Ref:

SCAN
    Requests that the system scan this job's JCL for syntax errors, ...

I assumed I could use TYPRUN=SCAN to check a job's JCL for
syntax errors.  But I have found, on JES2:

//JOBSCAN   JOB  505303JOB,'Paul Gilmartin',TYPRUN=SCAN,
// MSGLEVEL=(1,1),REGION=0M
//*
//USERC    OUTPUT JESDS=ALL,DEFAULT=YES,
//  CLASS=R,PAGEDEF=V0648Z,CHARS=GT12
//*
//STEP     EXEC  PGM=IEFBR14,COND=(0,LE)
//*
//LONGDSN1 DD DISP=SHR,
//  DSN=MORETHAN44CHARACTERSINTHIDDATASETNAMESHOULDCAUSEANERROR
//*
//LONGDSN2 DD DISP=SHR,
//  DSN=QUALIFIERS.LONGER.THAN8.CHARACTERS
//*
//REFER    DD DISP=SHR,DSN=*.NONE.SUCH
//
... is scanned with no errors reported.  I concluded that SCAN is worthless
unless
you deliberately commit the errors it's designed to report.  Yah, I know, the
behavior is documented.  That doesn't alter the fact that it's worthless.

I believe the best scan is to prefix an IEFBR14 step and bypass the rest
of the job with IF...ENDIF.

>Then again, I haven't worked on a JES3 system for more than three decades, so
>I am quite ignorant of current JES3 capabilities and foibles.

Me, too.  My exposure to JES3 is limited to testing JCL already validated
on JES2.  But Ed has called my attention to some valuable facilities that
I was unfamiliar with.

-- gil