Thanks to those that responded to my post.  Turned out to definitely be an SMS
issue.  This is probably obvious to most on this list, but not I.  In any
event, you cannot move volumes from one system to another using full voume dump
and restore, connect a catalog that is on one of those volumes, and then try to
do business as usual, if the volumes were under SMS at the previous site.  In
my case, I was moving from IBM's RDP site at Dallas to a z/PDT.  The z/PDT is
an ADCD system, and comes up with SMS active.  A sysprog here in Houston, Cliff
MacNeil, dug me out of my hole in short order.  The SMS system on the new z/OS
has to have a Storage Class, a Storage Group, and ACS routines set up to handle
the volumes.  Once that was done, connecting the catalog, defining the alias
entries, and everything was good to go.

    --Dave