Timothy,

I agree with the notion that CICS is a great product, and as many of
those who know me I am one of the biggest supporters of CICS you will
find.

GETTING ON SOAP BOX:

However this notion that only IBM can do things correct, cheap, stable
and 'free' is not reality.  As a user who has supported IBM mainframes
for over 36 years, 27 supporting CICS, I have seen many third party
products that work very well with CICS.  Does the base product for CICS
have support for CICS web services - yes it does, but it does not have
all the necessary components?  If it did why would IBM sell RDz,
WebSphere ESB, WebSphere Process Server and many other products to use
in conjunction for web services?

And let's not forget the education required and/or convoluted
definitions required to implement a web service, URIMAP, PIPELINE,
WEBSERVICE, TCPIPSERVICE, conversion routines, etc.  Most organizations
that I talk to want an easy way to define services, both the service
itself and the definitions needed to run it.

Would most companies need to invest in CICS Transaction Gateway?

How easy is it to defined composite services?

Can the user call the service from multiple sources, such as  Batch,
Java, .NET, VB, C?

Yes, CICS is the BEST product around and Hursley continues to add new
features and functionality.  But I think it is a bit disingenuous to
state that it is FREE to use web services from CICS.

IBM is best served when they embrace and work with third party vendors
instead of trying to take over all aspects of mainframe processing.

JUMPING OFF SOAP BOX

So, I still recommend looking at alternatives (IVORY!) to everything IBM
to enhance the value of CICS.

Glenn

(PS - These are my comments and do not reflect my company's point of
view)