You may also want to check whether a SMS dataclass with 'space constraint
relief' is being assigned, whereby you could be getting your allocation
spread over a number of volumes if there are no eligible volumes with
enough space to allocate the requested primary.  This could result in
unexpectedly-multivolume files, even if you are not writing much to them
(and then resulting the lack of space release from all but the last volume,
as has already been alluded to by others)
You should get messages out in your joblog if that were the case though.