From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Chris Mason
Sent: 10 November 2011 19:08
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: TSO SCREENSIZE

John

> 3274

3271

> STUPID

>From the perspective of the new millennium. At the time (1970 approximately)
>I'm sure it was a sensible design choice.

Chris Mason

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 11:48:30 -0600, McKown, John
<john.mck...@healthmarkets.com> wrote:

>Remember how old the 3270 architecture is. Wikipedia says about 1972. Think 1
>Mhz 8080 as "top of the line" micro processor. The original 3277 and its
>controllers were STUPID. Rather than put a more powerful processor in the
>controller, IBM decided to offload the "complicated" function of calculating
>the position of the data into the host. Made of discrete transistors and
>resistors! Very primitive. So, the host just sent a simple to understand
>"buffer address" (a single number) to the 3274. It basically just starting
>stuffing data characters at that location in a RAM buffer. More power == most
>cost == fewer purchases. Much like some of the "krud" in z/OS today due to
>"short sighted" architects who were worried about memory and slow CPUs and
>expensive DASD.

>The answer to these problems is obvious: Convert from archaic z/OS to modern
>Windows 8! At least that's what a lot of "Windows weenies" around here are
>saying. Over and over and over and over. "Better! Faster!! Cheaper!!!" is
>their cry. Anything z/OS can do, they state can be done using Windows and at
>lower TCO. Herr Gobbles would be proud of them.
>
>--
>John McKown

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended
solely for the addressee and may also be privileged or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee, or
have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy, disclose
or otherwise act upon any part of this e-mail or its attachments.

Internet communications are not guaranteed to be secure or
virus-free.
The Barclays Group does not accept responsibility for any loss
arising from unauthorised access to, or interference with, any
Internet communications by any third party, or from the
transmission of any viruses. Replies to this e-mail may be
monitored by the Barclays Group for operational or business
reasons.

Any opinion or other information in this e-mail or its attachments
that does not relate to the business of the Barclays Group is
personal to the sender and is not given or endorsed by the Barclays
Group.

Barclays Bank PLC. Registered in England and Wales (registered no.
1026167).
Registered Office: 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP, United
Kingdom.

Barclays Bank PLC is authorised and regulated by the Financial
Services Authority.