shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net (Shmuel Metz  , Seymour J.) writes:
> That came later, along with the 3278 and 3279,

we complained to kingston that 3274/3278 was much worse for interactive
computing that 3272/3277 ... kingston eventually came back and said that
3274/3278 target market was "data entry" (aka updated keypunch) not
interactive computing (and nobody considered TSO in anyway related to
interactive computing).

we had hacked the 3277 to remove some of the worst human factors ...
but part of the change to 3274/3278 was moving lots of the electronics
out of the 3278 head back into the 3274 controller ... reducing
manufacturing costs but eliminated some of the additional human factor
hacks (like fixing trying to type just as the screen was being update
... normal processing would lock the keyboard and require reset to be
hit).

old post with some of the 3272/3277 comparisons with 3274/3278
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#19 3270 protocol

the 3274 controller also had lots of bugs requiring the it be
reset/re-impl'ed ... however, we discovered a hack to force 3274 to
re-impl w/o requiring manual operation ... just very quickly hit every
subchannel address with HDV/CLRIO operation in tight loop.

a couple years later there was corporate decisions to officially say that
vm370/cms was the official corporate interactive computing platform (in
part because nearly all of internal development was on vm370/cms ... even
when it was for other platforms). What was really unusual was that it
motivated the TSO product manager to contact me about rewriting MVS
dispatch/scheduling for interactive workload (which wouldn't have helped a
whole lot because there were major problems with several other areas of
MVS)