m...@mentor-services.com (Mike Myers) writes:
> The 2250 was very interesting to me. I took a class on 2250
> programming in 1968. I learned that it had both character and graphics
> mode. The character mode was of special interest and I developed a
> full-screen editor that let the group I was working in at the time
> develop and edit source code and data files. It wasn't quite as good
> as ISPF's editor (which wasn't around yet), but it was a lot better
> than TSO's line editor. The screen was also much bigger than the
> 2260's and could display a whole card image.
>
> You could overtype data directly on the screen and there was a single
> line on the screen (at the bottom) which permitted commands that
> supported single line and block moves, copies and deletes.
>
> It saved the group a great deal of effort in developing programs and
> course material. I was teaching PSRs at IBM's Field Engineering school
> in Poughkeepsie at the time.
>
> Brings back some pleasant memories.

2250 had a number of different models ... 2250-1 was direct 360 channel
attach while 2250-4 was 2250/1130 combo ... (but they cost approx. the
same).

we had 2250-1 at the univ in the 60s ... and i used the CMS 2250
graphics fortran library from lincoln labs ... to hack 2250 support
into the cms editor.

the science center had 2250-4 (2250/1130 combo), which somebody ported a
copy of spacewars from PDP1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacewar!

misc. past posts mentioning science center
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

then summer of 1969 ... i got brought in to boeing hdqtrs to help with
the fledging boeing computer services (bringing all dataprocessing into
its own business unit). hdqtrs had 360/30 mainly used for payroll and
the machine room was built out to add a 1mbyte 360/67 to run cp67/cms.
This was tiny compared to the renton datacenter which had dozens of
360/65 and some claim to have $300M or so in 360 equipment ... which was
being replicated at the 747 plant up in everett.

For a long time, I thot Renton was the largest mainframe machine room
... but later i would sponsor Boyd's briefings at IBM ... and in recent
bio ... it mentioned Boyd was in charge of spook base (about the time I
was at Boeing) ... which was a $2.5B "windfall" for IBM (possibly $17+B
inflation adjusted in today's dollars?).

this has description of spook base ... gone 404, but lives on at
the wayback machine
http://web.archive.org/web/20030212092342/http://home.att.net/~c.jeppeson/igloo_white.html

above has picture claimed to be 2250s ... but obvious is something else.

Later replacements for 2250 i believe were repackaged/relogo'ed graphics
display from Sanders Associates (in NH)
http://www.pong-story.com/sanders.htm
http://books.google.com/books?id=XK4v1gh0JroC&pg=PA31&lpg=PA31&dq=sanders+associates+graphics+display&source=bl&ots=62_kZWXpki&sig=zKyb8WrQnJUzEQFgVMcJBZvq-XQ&hl=en&ei=QVu9ToTQPKWsiQL63I2mAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CFgQ6AEwBA