On 11/18/2011 07:11 AM, Norbert Friemel wrote:
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:26:32 -0200, Carlos Bodra - Pessoal wrote:

If I have a volume backed up using ADRDSSU 1.11 (DUMP DATASET) is
possible to restore it using ADRDSSU 1.10?  (backward compatibility)
--

Yes, if the coexistence and fallback PTFs are installed on z/OS 1.10
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/E0Z2M171/2.1.2.1

Norbert Friemel

But, take note that this backward compatibility does not always exist. It seems that about every ten years or so as tape technology advances IBM decides to raise the block size written by dfdss, first to 64KiB, relatively recently to 256KiB. Be sure to pay attention when this is mentioned in migration notes, because it invariably means that new dump tapes CANNOT be read by back-level versions of dfdss, and you might not have complete control over or knowledge of the update level of dfdss at a recovery site.

Although we never had to work around a dfdss failure, our DR tape set always included our current version of stand-alone dfdss, just in case - so we knew we could always restore our emergency restore system (at same software level as production) and didn't have to constantly remember to verify DR site dfdss compatibility that only rarely would be an issue.

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org