Hi John,

Nothing beats an accomplished and/or native speaker.  Still, the 'sound bites'
are usually better than the native English speaker's attempt at figuring out
how things should sound.  :)

Some years ago I had the great opportunity to spend 2 years living in Germany
and traveling about a bit.  All I had to lean on at the beginning was a Berlitz
Traveler's German book.  I found its most useful feature was the phonetic
spelling for an English speaker of the German words and phrases.  It helped me
get started and rescued me several times until I learned more of the language.
I am not fluent, but I still regularly listen to German and Austrian radio over
the net and visit some websites in German.

I inquired of our buddy Google as regards the International Phonetic Alphabet,
which led me to http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ipa.htm  interesting site.

Thanks,

Linda