"Barry Schrager" <barryschra...@cs.com> writes:
> This all disturbs me.  30 years ago, companies were willing to invest their
> personnel time in activities like this.  This not only improves our
> profession but builds an expertise that many claim are lacking.
>
> I have a SHARE paper I wrote in 1974 which are the recommendations from the
> Security Project on security requirements for future IBM Operating Systems.
> It is amazingly accurate.  I also have a paper that I presented at the 1974
> IBM Data Security Forum.  New Era Software will be making these available in
> December along with a Forward created by the brilliant writer Julie-Ann
> Williams.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011p.html#10 1979 SHARE LSRAD Report

i sent them large 100+mbyte version and lower res 4mbyte version
... they put up hi-res larger file this morning.
http://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/share/

when i was undergraudate, i had done huge amount of thruput work on
os/360 and then got copy of cp67, did lots of code rewrite. resent
(linkedin) mainframe discussion post regarding some of the work
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011p.html#5 Why are organizations sticking with
mainframe

references old post with part of presentation that I had made at fall
1968 SHARE
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#18

part of the work was completely redoing the os/360 stage2 deck output
from stage1 sysgen ... to carefully place location of files and PDS
members for optimized arm seek ... getting nearly three times thruput
improvement in the univ. student workload.

while at the univ., i would be sometimes be asked by ibm about making
some specific enhancements ... in retrospect, some of the enhancements
requests may have originating from these customers ... that i didn't
learn about until many years later
http://www.nsa.gov/research/selinux/list-archive/0409/8362.shtml