Here is the "meat" from something I wrote 15 years ago :

Notes :

(1) You must be supervisor and key0
(2) You must be nonswap
(3) DEV_ARRAY is the address of unit array
(4) DEV_ENTRIES contains number of entries in the array
(5) Test the code on a TEST system!

        LA      R4,DEV_INPUT
        USING   VDEV,R4
        MVC     VDEV_ID(4),=CL4'VDEV'
        MVI     VDEV_VERSION,VDEV_VERN
        OI      VDEV_KEYWORDS1,VDEV_OFFLINE
        L       R3,DEV_ARRAY
        MODESET MODE=SUP,KEY=ZERO
        SYSEVENT DONTSWAP
        IEEVARYD OPERATION=DEV_INPUT,
                DEVICES=(R3),
                NUMDEVS=DEV_ENTRIES,
                CALLERID==CL8'xxxxxxxx',
                RETCODE=DEV_RC,
                RSNCODE=DEV_RSN,
        SYSEVENT OKSWAP

DEV_RC  DS      F
DEV_RSN DS      F
DEV_ENTRIES     DS      F
DEV_ARRAY       DS      A
DEV_INPUT       DS      XL(VDEV_LENGTH)

Rob Scott
Lead Developer
Rocket Software
275 Grove Street * Newton, MA 02466-2272 * USA
Tel: +1.617.614.2305
Email: rsc...@rs.com
Web: www.rocketsoftware.com