On Dec 27, 2005, at 7:32 AM, Chris Mason wrote:

I haven't really been paying very much attention to this topic since it's not at all my forte - if anything is. However, I'm struck by the seeming fact that there is no current general solution to the tape set-up problem. If there were and some users were allowed to use the required procedure and some users weren't then there would be a solution also to the subject line.

I remember many years ago when I submitted a job involving typically tape mounting - there was a time when disks could be mounted per job also - then I had to include a JES2 card - I vaguely remember. The card had to mention in text suitable for an operator rather than a program which tape volumes the job would require. I think the presence of the card caused the job to be held so that the operator could release it presumably when both the tape
drives and the tapes from the library were available.

That was the state of play about 20 years ago I guess and I'm surprised
there's not a more solid solution about now - or maybe there is but,
somehow, it can't be used to block use of it by a particular user.

Chris Mason

Chrism,

If you mean "automatically" system code., then I agree with you. The user code (that I wrote) is invoked at each mount request.

The decision to cancel has to be done within user written code. Each installation has to make their own mind up whether to cancel the job or not. I could just see if IBM came up with a process there would still have to be "rules" if not then the user community would be lobbying IBM to have an exit so they could decide.

Some installations may or may not care less about tape mounts. Each installation would then have to create rules unique to their installation.

With robotic tape mechanisms mounting tape is probably costs less so in some situations it maybe almost irrelevant. The issue I see is throughput for an iebgener step for instance even though it calls for an input (and possibly an output tape) the step could last for 10 seconds or 30 minutes (or more) it would tie up that specific init for that amount of elapsed time leaving the other jobs in that job class waiting. It is in a way allocating resources (tape drives).

Ed