John McKown wrote: "With Z/OS, Windows, and Mac OSX, I don't even have a change to understand some of the internals."

Read "Mac OS X Internals" by Amit Singh- Addison-Wesley 2007. Also the source code for Darwin (OS/X) is downloadable from Apple. Not to defend Apple, but it is interesting to note that Apple refers to internals as "implementation detail", and discourages attention to internals by noting that implementation details are subject to change, and that depending on implementation details in applications leads to migration difficulties.

That said, any vendor whose software writes undocumented SMF records is not playing cricket. If the SMF records are to be useful me, they have to be documented. If they're not useful to me, I'll turn them off, and they won't be useful to the vendor.

Dale Miller