I did this to myself earlier today.  It took hours to understand
and generate a small test case.  I managed do delete a data set
but leave the catalog entry.  When I subsequently tried to
allocate the data set, ALLOCATE apparently succeeded with RC=0,
but LISTDSI( ... FILE ) fails with RC=16 RSN=24.  Did I
allocate the data set successfully or not?

Yes you did. You can allocate a dataset which does not really exist on the disk, either through the catalog or by specifying UNIT and VOL. The allocation will work successfully, as you saw. But when you do an OPEN or some other operation like LISTDSI which requires the DSCB, the missing DSCB is noticed and a failure occurs.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR