On 12/14/2011 9:33 AM, Tom Marchant wrote:
On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:53:57 +0200, Itschak Mugzach wrote:

Does anyone here uses the open source Cobos product as a replacement for
IBM RDZ?

It doesn't look like open source to me, despite the statement on
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cobosproject/ that it is.  The
license is listed as "Other license".

Sourceforge links to http://cobos.metrixware.org/ and if you
look at their license, it reads, in part,

<quote>
if Licensee is:
(i) an Organization, the licensee may install and use the Software
on a maximum of one (1) local developer Workstations with a
maximum of two (2) CPUs; or
(ii) an Educational Institution, Licensee may install and use the
Software on an unlimited number of Workstations and CPUs,
provided such use is solely for educational or training purposes
and not for Licensee’s internal business or any commercial use....
Any other use requires that you acquire a commercial version of
the Metrixware software under the terms of the commercial
Metrixware End-User License Agreement.
</quote>

I wouldn't consider downloading it to test it because I have no way
of knowing whether someone else in the company might have done
so, and their license allows it to be installed on only one workstation
within the company.

Good point. They would be better off not worrying about that
kind of restrictive license and get revenue from maintenance
and support contracts. That way, they would get a lot more
people interested in and using the product (if it's good).

After all, they offer the software with no guarantees and
no maintenance. So why restrict it?

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-355-2752
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our tool for calculating your Return On Investment
    for training dollars at
  http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html