thanks to all for the feedback.  it's a hummingbird terminal emulator but I
have no idea how to program it by any other means than using the options panels
provided.  the consensus here seems to be that if it can be done, the emulator
would need to be sent code to turn caps on.
appreciate everyone's fond memories of dumb terminals as well, they may have
been featureless, but I never had to shut down TSO because the system was
hosed... a lot less distractions too.