Joel C. Ewing writes (of Julian days):

| That makes much sense for astronomers that work through
|  the night and sleep during the day, but is a terrible fit for people
| and businesses that have to deal with "normal" work hours and
| who would never tolerate the same period of daylight being
| called by two different dates

What people find tolerable is a function of their experience.  When my
wife and I lived in Iran we rapidly came to terms with the convention
that the day ends at sundown and even, with only a little more
difficulty, with idea that a dinner invitation for Tuesday night was
an invitation to have dinner following sundown on Monday.

However that may be, this objection has another, much more important
defect.  It confounds internal representations for machines with
external representations for people, which need to be interconvertible
but should seldom--I had almost written never--be the same.