Hélio

> I need to <do something involving z/OS>.

> How <can I> do (it)?

> Where do I find these instructions ?

First decide on a likely token to use in a search.

Let's take "logrec" as an example!

Then go to the following page:

"z/OS Internet Library"

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/bkserv/

Then select your version[1] and release of z/OS under "Publication titles,
filenames, and order numbers by z/OS release".

Let us assume V1R13 - curiously represented as V1.13!

This takes us to the following page:

"z/OS V1R13.0 elements and features bookshelves"

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/bkserv/zshelves13.html#zbop [2]

If you know what component is involved, you can, of course, scroll to the
relevant bookshelf.

However, if you are unsure of the component - or a bit too lazy to scroll down
the page! - you can enter that likely token into the "Search text" box under
"z/OS V1R13.0 Base Elements Optional Features  - 448 books".

Entering "logrec", we come to the following page:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/Shelves/EZ2ZO213?searchRequest=logrec&SEARCH=Search+text&Type=FUZZY&SearchTopic=TOPIC&searchText=TEXT&searchIndex=INDEX&rank=RANK
 [3]

This presents us with a daunting list of 116 manuals. However, the first one,
"z/OS V1R13.0 MVS Diagnosis: Tools and Service Aids" looks rather promising so
we'll have a look at that first (and actually we'll discover there is no need
to try others).

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/SEARCH?SEARCHREQUEST=logrec&Book=iea2v1c0&DN=GA22-7589-17&DT=20110616233757&TYPE=FUZZY&RANK=RANK&SEARCHTOPIC=TOPIC&SEARCHTEXT=TEXT&SEARCHINDEX=INDEX&SHELF=EZ2ZO213.bks

The first "hit" is "Recording logrec error records, 14.0" which translates to
"14.0 Recording logrec error records" when the page is selected.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/iea2v1c0/14.0

Note that this time I have stripped off all the "garbage" from the "?"
character onwards.

This section in the "z/OS V1R13.0 MVS Diagnosis: Tools and Service Aids" manual
will give you the start you appear to need on the topic of "logrec".

It also incorporates the section to which John McKown directed you with a bare
URL containing a gobbledygook code representing the manual name. If he had
indicated exactly what manual it was, there would have been no need for further
posts actually providing you with - and arguing over - the JCL statements.

-

I would hope that a similar procedure to the one outlined above would enable
you to become self-sufficient in the future when relatively straightforward
questions arise - and maybe even some more complicated ones!

-

[1] Anticipating that one fine day IBM might actually stretch to a Version 2
and so on.

[2] Note how the release number is embedded in the URL so enabling you to leap
between releases from one or other flavour of this page. This is something I do
quite often - adopting obviously a binary search pattern - in order to discover
when a relatively new feature was introduced or when some new abomination crept
into manual text!

[3] Note the token "FUZZY" embedded in the URL text. If your token happens to
be a phrase with embedded blanks, you can insist that that is the string used
in the search rather than just pages with the tokens arranged anywhere on the
page by replacing "FUZZY" with "EXACTW" for "Exact" or "EXACTN" for "Exact any
case" and pressing the "return" key. How do I know this? Well you may be aware
that there is a search function once you are looking at manual pages - the
"torch" symbol. Using this search facility there are three options: "Exact",
"Exact any case" and "Fuzzy", the default. The same tokens, "EXACTW", "EXACTN"
and "FUZZY" appear in the URL after using this search function. Nous!

-

Chris Mason