On 29 Dec 2005 21:32:32 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (SArnett) wrote:

>The computer corollary to Murphy's law states that if architects built
>buildings the way that programmers write programs, the first woodpecker
>to come along would destroy civilization...

That's an old, amusing corollary.

But in real life, buildings have lots of flaws in them.   I don't know
how many architects build buildings - but their designs have flaws.
Then the construction workers don't do everything perfect.    But it
works anyway.

Some nails are crooked.   Security varies with how much we are willing
to pay.   Some maintenance is easy, some is expensive - but
maintenance needs to be done.   We budget for new roofs, cleaning
materials, replacement of carpets, and repainting.   We spray for
vermin.   We move people around as our needs change.   We replace
broken windows and unclog pipes.