Well, well, well....I was *sure* that this could not be done.  Wrong.

After a closer reading of the SMP/E Commands manual, it appears that SMP/E
fully supports sending ++HOLD ACTION or ++HOLD EC statements "after the
fact" via the same mechanism (RECEIVE HOLDDATA) as ++HOLD ERROR commands.

So, the answer appears to be "yes", IBM could send electronic updates to
++HOLD information.  Today they do not do this, but SMP/E itself apparently
supports this.

For those interested in looking into this further, in the SMP/E manuals,
they uses the phrase "HOLDSYSTEM (external)" to refer to ++HOLD SYSTEM
statements which are provided to a global zone via a RECEIVE HOLDDATA
command and the SMPHOLD DD statement, and the phrase "HOLDSYSTEM
(internal)" to refer to ++HOLD SYSTEM statements which are included as part
of a PTF and provided to a global zone via a RECEIVE SYSMODS command and
the SMPPTFIN DD statement.

Brian