On 12/30/2011 5:52 AM, Peter Relson wrote:
I have noted a couple of omissions in the PoPs that I will submit
a Readers Comment for

I didn't notice that any of the things you mentioned regarding the PoOp
are necessarily omissions or things to be corrected (but I might have
missed it). You questioned the list of semiprivileged instructions, I
believe. That depends on what is meant by semiprivileged. If it means
"subject to one of the authorization mechanisms shown in table 5-6" then
TRAP2/TRAP are not. RP is not.

The wording in the PoOp tends to be extremely precise (not 100% correct,
but pretty darn close). I caution against assuming that terms mean what
they do not say they mean.

I understand, and I believe you. But, there are times (perhaps when
separate chapters are written or updated by different people) when
the consistency is not what I, personally, would like.

Consider

the Preface description of Chapter 10 says that chapter:

  "contains detailed descriptions of all of the semiprivileged
   and privileged instructions except for the I/O instructions."

Chapter 3 mentions a "semiprivileged program" - what is that?
                     (Chapter 5 also uses this term without
                      defining it)

Chapter 4 says "Another group of instructions, called semiprivileged
                instructions, are executed by a CPU in the problem
                state only if specific authority tests are met;
                otherwise, a privileged-operation exception or a
                special-operation exception is recognized."

Chapter 5 says "There are 23 semiprivileged instructions and also the
                privileged LOAD ADDRESS SPACE PARAMETERS instruction
                that are controlled by the authorization mechanisms."

                (so, to go back to your point, LASP, and several
                 other instructions in the referenced table are
                 _not_ semiprivileged; it would be nice if that
                 table simply indicated if each instruction is
                 privileged or semiprivileged)

                The table, Figure 5-6, titled "Summary of Authorization
                Mechanisms" includes semiprivileged instructions _and_
                some others; Looking carefully, I cannot discern which
                of these 36 instructions are the 23 semiprivileged
                instructions.

Chapter 10 has a table, Figure 10-1, in which RP has a characteristic
                of 'Q', which is described as: "Privileged-operation
                exception for semiprivileged instructions"

                so it looks like RP is semiprivileged

                In that same table, TRAP2 and TRAP4 have characteristic
                'SO' which says "Special-operation exception" and I
                find ambiguous: these instructions will not raise a
                'Privileged-operation exception', according to the
                table, so they are not privileged. Neither fish nor
                fowl, eh?

So, this is the kind of thing I find difficult and in need of clarification.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-355-2752
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our tool for calculating your Return On Investment
    for training dollars at
  http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html