So, as I understand it, the scenario is:

There are two TASKs (STCs). The first STC issues the WTOR (is this the
local HSM?). It then sends the WTOR reply id to the second STC via a
MODIFY command. The first STC then WAITs on the WTOR ECB. The second STC
then takes some action. When the action is complete, the second STC will
do a REPLY using the given replyid. The second STC then waits for
another MODIFY. The first stc "wakes up" and continues at this point.
Rinse, repeat.

>From what you have said, I guess you wrote both sets of software. It is
also obvious that you must be running APF authorized. In this case, I
would do something entirely different. Not that your method is really
bad. Have you considered having 16 bytes of storage in ECSA? This would
consist of four fullwords. The first would be the ASCB address of STC1.
The second would be an ECB. The third would be the ASCB of STC2. The
fourth would be another ECB.
You could then do cross memory POSTs? One STC place its ASCB address in
the first ASCB slot and then WAIT on the first ECB, the other would
place its ASCB address in the second ASCB slot and WAIT on the second
ECB. STC1 would do a cross memory POST on ECB2 instead of a WTOR/MODIFY,
then WAIT on ECB1. STC2 would WAIT on ECB2, do its processing, then
cross memory POST ECB1. This is just a high overview. It would be more
difficult to set up, but once going, it should be easier to do the
actual processing. You could use a system-level Name/Token to
communicate the address of this ECSA storage. Just an idea. Another idea
was some sort of weird double ENQ/DEQ (producer/consumer) processing,
but I cannot figure out exactly how to do it just yet.

P.S. Would you consider changing your email client to not fill in the
"reply to:" address? When you do that, I must remember to remove your
email address from my reply and insert the IBM-MAIN email address in its
place.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.