In <01c601ccc8b4$cd39fda0$67adf8e0$@mindspring.com>, on 01/01/2012
   at 01:40 PM, Lizette Koehler <stars...@mindspring.com> said:

>A friend is going over to the dark (I mean) Distributed side and will
>work with various processes in VB. .NET  bsh, ksh and other such
>things.

You're talking a very mixed bag there/ VB and .NET usually means
windoze, although MONO allows running some under Linux. Bash, Korn
Shell and the like are normally *ix, although again there are some
ports.

I'd start out by looking at <http://www.ora.com>.

There are relevant news groups in the comp.os.* hierarchy, e.g.,
comp.os.linux.mix, and there are news groups for specific Linux
ditributions. You need to pin down the type of information you're
looking for in order to determine the most appropriate news groups.