I tend to use NFS. The z/Linux system can NFS export a subdirectory. z/OS can
then import that subdirectory, with or without automatic code point
translation. The z/OS job then simply uses a DD with the appropriate PATH= to
write to the z/Linux system. With "icrond" on z/Linux, the user can
automatically take some action when the file is closed.

Another possibility, depending on the client, is the use of Co:Z Launcher from
Dovetailed Technologies. This allows a z/OS batch job step to do an SSH
connection to a Linux (or UNIX or Windows) system. The z/OS batch job sends
UNIX commands to the z/Linux system "in stream". In addition, on the z/Linux
system, they should have Dataset Pipes installed (another Dovetail product).
This puts two main commands on the z/Linux system. "fromdsn" reads a z/OS
dataset (not a z/OS UNIX file) or a DD allocated to the batch step and write it
to "stdout". "todsn" does the reverse: reads "stdin" and writes it to a DD
statement or dataset.

http://dovetail.com/products/coz.html

These products are freely licensed. As in, "NO CHARGE!". It is not even
necessary to do a registration before downloading. Just download and install.
They do not require any special authority. No APF. No "root". Just normal RACF
authorization such as is normal for a batch job.

If the user is of the mindset: "if it costs nothing, it must be worth nothing",
then they can purchase a maintenance agreement.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group