fallback because ACF2 was somehow
> *wildcarding* a user's access to applications whereas RACF was
iterating through a list of
> applications.

???  Did you have the APPL class RACLISTed?

If you want to "wildcard" user access to applications in RACF, first
ensure you have generics enabled for the APPL class (SETR GENERIC(APPL)
GENCMD(APPL) ), then define an APPL profile of ** with UACC(READ) and
delete the rest of the APPL profiles; then RACLIST REFRESH the APPL
class.  If you later want to limit access to some applications, simply
define more specific profiles for them with UACC(NONE) and an
appropriate access list.

> The resulting overhead across 1000's of users exhausted memory leaving
no room for LSQA and producing
> 878 abends.

I think you had something mis-configured.

    -jc-