"Disturbed"

> Disturbing.

I am obliged to guess at what part of my post you found "disturbing". I
concluded it must be the point I raised regarding support for the LOGOFF
command, no other point being available as a candidate.

It is indeed a shame that Bill Kelly - to give a name to the author of RFC 2355
- didn't appreciate that there was a capability, enormously useful in support
of a troubled - one might even say disturbed - end user when work is not
progressing as hoped.

That missed capability can be described in the following manner:

1. The end-user has established the TN3270E TCP connection concatenated to the
SNA session with, for example, TSO with the aid of the LOGON command.

2. The end-user has become "stuck" in some way, no response from the
application or the application is not behaving as he or she expected.

Ideally, the following would be possible, with the end-used needing to have
been trained only how to manage 3 and 4.

3. The end-user would invoke the SysReq function, single key or combination of
keys with a tricky "order of press".

4. The end-user would press enter.[1]

5. There would now be instructions over how to proceed which would include the
number of the "help desk", and a number of parameters specific to that
end-users connection/session which the "help desk" would need properly to
identify the end-user:

- the client IP address
- the client name obtained from the name server system [2]
- the SNA-oriented TELNET server LU name

Incidentally, also with what RFC 2355 allows in the implementation of the LOGON
command, the variables are available for presentation at this time and, in case
anyone is of the opinion that this is all some relic of a bygone age, there is
- sound the trumpets! - support for IPv6 in the "client IP address" field.

It appears that Bill Kelly - not having attended my classes! - was unaware of
the possibility behind steps 3, 4 and 5 which has always existed for the case
of the SNA end-to-end session - obviously just with regard to the "LU name"
field - since the @@LUNAME variable was introduced.

This is the great - and "disturbing" - shame!

-

[1] The message which appears here is number 5, "Unsupported function". All
this means is that, according to design, VTAM or, in this case, the
SNA-oriented TELNET server, do not take any action relating to session
management as a result of receiving no data - but, but, but - there is nothing
whatsoever to prevent the canny system programmer using any or all of the
available variables to populate the resulting message 5!

[2] It is not actually made clear in the section 16.4.3, "USSMSG
macroinstruction" of the z/OS Communications Server IP Configuration Reference
where these fields are described that this field must be optional:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/f1a1b4b0/16.4.3

The SNA-oriented TELNET server will only obtain the client host name from the
name server system when (it thinks!) it needs so to do in order to map, for
example, LU names to particular client work-stations by "host name". As for the
case of providing the name field in the CV X'64' information propagated to the
application, this reference to the name server system can be induced by setting
up, in effect, a dummy HNGROUP set of statements in the PROFILE data set.

-

Chris Mason