In a recent note, john gilmore said:

> Date:         Mon, 2 Jan 2006 19:24:30 +0000
>
> The most recent, 2005 October, '-04', version of the Principles of Operation
> contains an additional table row for the 2005 EOY leap-second correction,
> which was +1.

I stand corrected.  Where can/should I have found this?
Necrodendritic media?

> By international convention leap-second corrections
>
> o may be inserted only at midnight of July 30th and/or December 31st of the
> year and

ITYM June 30.

> o must be for an integer number of seconds.
>
> They are not, that is, required to be positive or for only one second at a
> time.

   Linkname: NIST Time and Frequency FAQ

   What is a leap second?
   A leap second is a second added to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) to
       make it agree with astronomical time to within 0.9 second.

I don't believe the 0.9 second constraint can be maintained while
inserting more than one leap second at a time.  Proof is left as
an exercise for the reader.

-- gil
--
StorageTek