Bear in mind that Kindle, and many other ereaders, are designed to
automatically reflow text to fit user options like text size.  Which works
great for text, not so well for images like diagrams.   The best think I've
found for diagrams so far is to put the diagram on a page by itself and make
sure the Kindle will size it to fit the entire page and even then, the diagram
has to shrink to fit a 4x6 Kindle instead of an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper.  This
is definitely an area where the 'human factors' people ought to get involved.
I think it's worth the time and effort, because many people want their manuals
in many different (and often mobile) forms.

I also think intra-document linking can help a lot for devices like Kindle;
page-changing is pretty rapid, but scrolling through more than a few pages
costs time.

I think the RedBook people ought to do a 'Greybook'  about re-working documents
for the Kindle ...