On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 08:40:52 -0800, Skip Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>The simplest way to 'freeze operations' in an LPAR is the MVS QUIESCE
>command, which puts the system into a restartable wait state. I was in a
>shop a long time ago that routinely used QUIESCE while switching a
>communications front-end controller from one device to another. The pause
>lasted only seconds and mostly worked. Years later I tried it in another
>system, and VTAM got so hosed that only IPL finally straightened it out. So
>try it--but don't be shocked at the results.

I had the same experience back in the 80's.  The reason VTAM got "hosed"
was because of the NCP.  Even though the host (VTAM) is "asleep", the
communications controller keeps running.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America and Farmers Insurance Group