On Sun, 15 Jan 2012, John Gilmore wrote:

> <begin snippet>
> I can't help but wonder what some of the early computing pioneers
> would think of this.
> </end snippet>
>
> It is convenient to look at
>
> John von Neumann, "Lectures on probabilistic logics and the synthesis
> of reliable organisms from unreliable components", in Automata
> studies, edited by Claude Shannon and John McCarthy, Princeton:
> Princeton University Press, 1957.

[...]
> All three of these seminal figures are gone, von Neumann in 1957,
> Shannon in 2001, and McCarthy in 2011.  All three would have been
> unsurprised by this announcement.
>
> John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA

However, I guess they would have been a bit surprised finding that a
future superportable machine sporting zetabyte of persistent ram and a
miniature cyclotron does not have a compiler on board. Perhaps they would
be asking questions, like, "it is so soft and cannot compile, so what you
folks use it for, twice a day".

Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_r...@bigfoot.com             **