Try running an IEBCopy compress against the data set (option "z" against.
TSO-ISPF display of the PDSE). It might be a little complicated as it's in the
Linklist, and so disp=old wouldn't work (still allocated to LLA), so you'll
have to use disp=shri in a batch job.

Run this after deleting the members, and you'd also be as well to run an LLA
refresh after this and then again after populating it again.

Al Playford