Yes indeed this question has popped up on often.
You have the easiest answer and probably the best.
In a JES2 exit it is reasonably easy but then it depends on why you are changing it.
I went at it at a two pronged attack.
I did the exit and then I figured out that that it was easy to get around. In my case we had a jobclass's set up for tape or notape and I figured if the submitters weren't going to be honest I would look at every mount and then look at the jobclass and if they were in the wrong jobclass I issued a cancel with an appropriate message.

Ed