We use VDR from OpenTech to copy ml2 tapes from VTL to have an offsite copy
that is 3590 physical tapes.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Staller, Allan
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 7:39 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [IBM-MAIN] different tape media for ML2 copies in HSM

Look up the TAPECOPY command in the dfSMS/hsm Storage Admin Guide..

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DGT2S680/2.40
?SHELF=DGT2BK90&DT=20090610113354

HTH,

<snip>
Currently we are creating duplex tape copies for ML2 in HSM. We are
using logical tape (VTS), and we used to use Export to get the second
copies offsite. However, 2 years ago we stopped all Export/Import
functions, and now have the two copies always in the library(which is
bad).
My job now, is to find a way to be able to send the second copy offsite
by using native 3590 tape. I was researching, and I am 99% sure that I
cannot use different media - logical tape for onsite and native 3590 for
offsite - for the ML2 tapes. I was told to turn the 99% into 100%.

So here is my question:
  Is there any way to use different media for the two ML2 tapes? A patch
maybe?
Logically thinking, since the 3590 is larger we would never have issues
with
filling up the second tape, but then have partial filled 3590 tapes
offsite.
I wonder if parameters like the TAPEUTILIZATION and the
RECYCLEPERCENT are the reason why we can't mix the media.
</snip>

1.0pt 0in'>
"This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient
 and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential.
 any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this email
 and its attachments, if any, is strictly prohibited.  If you have
 received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by
 return email and delete this email from your system."