You just need to install multiple instances of the JDK retaining your older JDK
prior to 6.0.1.
GEICO has so far refused to upgrade from EKM to ISKLM till we either acquire
hardware or need function like full disk encryption not supported by EKM.

Attaching E07 drives native is not supported by EKM.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ts7700/cust/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.storage.ts7740.doc%2Fts7740_drives_3592.html

Here is part of the answer we got from IBM on the same question

"As you know there are multiple versions of the Java SDK for z/OS. The EKM
component is still available in the z/OS SDKs listed below, and will remain
in these SDKs for the life of these SDKs. The EKM component in these SDKs
has not been enhanced since 2008 with new device support. If you have a
deployment of the EKM component that utilizes one of the SDKs listed  you
can certainly continue to use these SDKs for that EKM deployment and the
devices that are presently supported by the EKM component.

   IBM 31-bit SDK for z/OS, Java Technology Edition, V6.0.0
   IBM 31-bit SDK for z/OS, Java 2 Technology Edition, V5
   IBM SDK for z/OS, Java 2 Technology Edition, V1.4"

We will be upgrading from z/OS 1.12 to 1.13 starting next month and don't plan
on replacing EKM yet unless something comes up unexpected.

        Best Regards,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO
                System z Team Leader
                mailto:sknut...@geico.com
                (office)  301.986.3574
                (cell) 301.996.1318

"Think big, act bold, start simple, grow fast..."