My original point was that new programs should obtain and work only
with sixteen-byte STCKE values.

The  imposed SMFSTAMP-value format must in the short term be
respected, but this requirement does not entail use of eight-byte STCK
values in programming.  It is better to discard some TOD data in some
fields than not to have them available.

About Y2k windowing and the usability of similar techniques for
STCK-value windowing opinions may differ greatly.  The Y2k windowing
schemes I am familiar with have mostly worked badly and required much
tinkering/adjustment, as indeed have other ad hoc Y2k remediation
schemes.  (it is not much talked about, but Y2K-related maintenance
expenses are ongoing in many large IT organizations.)

What can be said with some confidence is that in the light of our Y2K
experience there will and should be little sympathy for those who do
not address the 2042 problem in a timely way.

--jg

--
John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA