A fold is an enclosure for sheep.  Fold is also the terms of venery
for sheep, as in a fold of sheep, a pride of lions, a pod of whales, a
pile of proctologists.

By extension the/a fold now often means a set of people or, less
commonly, organizations that share some preoccupation or prejudice.

--
John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA