We replaced the DSNHLI entries provided by IBM by a homegrown CSECT
(with ALIAS DSNHLI) which does the following:

- check if connection is already established by examining a statically stored address
(which was initialized to zero)
- if not zero, this is the address of the IBM interface, call it
- if zero, load dynamically a "connection management routine", this routine:
- checks the environment (IMS, TSO, BATCH/CAF, BATCH/RRSAF in our case)
- checks, if connection is already established, if not, it does the approriate CONNECT
- loads the appropriate IBM interface
- stores its address at the location mentioned above
- calls it

The subsequent calls call the right IBM interface with almost no additional overhead.

There are also calls from outside to the "connection management routine" to do explicit connections and disconnections. Of course, when disconnecting, the stored
address must be reset to zero.

The whole thing can be called from PL/1, ASSEMBLER or C programs (other languages
maybe, too),

Kind regards

Bernd