On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:23:14 +0100, R.S. wrote:

>The only application I know that manages extent size - that means using
>some algorithm for extent increase - is MQ Series aka Wbesphere MQ
>(since version 6 AFAIR).
>It would be nice to have such facility in DATACLASS.

Nice indeed.  And someone else suggested DB2 as another good
performer.

And now I may add to my list another example or two of IBM's having
a good idea but implementing it in the wrong layer.  This should have
been done not in MQ and/or DB2, but in allocation where all applications
could take advantage of it.  All this could have been done without
changing the specification of the VTOC and DSCB nor making incompatible
changes to them.

Conway's Law.

-- gil