One of the first investigative tasks handed to me at my new job...

...and I don't know where to start.

Got a z-OS 1.9 system, that runs as a guest under z/VM. (It's a long time since
I last worked with such a combination. Last time it was VM/370(?) and MVS
1.3.0e, alongside a bunch of DOS/VSE/AF images, all on a 4381)

Last night, at about 23:10 local time, the z-OS system apparently crashed (or
was logged off of z-VM).

Last console message(s) to appear show that an SMF dump job had been
automatically started, but there's nothing unusual about that...

disappeared.

Any hints, tips, etc about where to look for other diagnostic info would be
gratefully received...

TIA