No. Our programmers allocate in CYLs. Why? "I understand what a cylinder is.
This megabyte stuff just doesn't make sense to me." Seems weird, but they will
say that they don't know how many records are going to be in a file, or how big
the record may be when it is variable in length. But they __do__ have an
estimate of how many cylinders it needs to have allocated. HUH? Any more, with
SMS, we have the normal DATACLAS have a DVC value of 59 (maximum). The person
who was the storage administrator simply told the programmers to use a
"standard" allocation value and let the system take care of extending the
dataset on a volume, and onto more volumes. This works about 95% of the time
here. The other 5% of the time, the programmer needs to use a "really large"
value for their DEFINE of a VSAM KSDS. But we know what those datasets are and
how big they need to be. We are a fairly static shop on the z side any more.
The "high level" application designers are all Windows trained and d!
 on't even consider how to use z/OS to accomplish company goals. Their response
to almost anything is "z/OS can't do that". What they really mean is "I don't
know how to get z/OS to do that, and I don't intend to learn either. I know
Windows and so Windows is the answer."

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV