>>It is more reliable than HFS.

>I think the jury is out on that one still. Until there is more usage
>and acceptance, at this point I'm not sure how much I trust zFS so I
>only have limited use (there have been problems but I think z/OS 1.7
>made some RAS improvements). Not all that much different than PDSE was
>in the not so distant past (even though PDSE has been around since
>MVS/ESA). HFS may still be more stable/reliable for mission critical
>applications at this point even though there are no improvements
>planned.

>Anyone care to comment on personal experiences (good or bad)?

Well, we converted everything but the root to zFS (under 1.4). In order to
get automation to work correctly, we had to start it sub=mstr. On our Domino
LPARS that had the effect of delaying the first automation reply  for a
loooong time (it used to be 30seconds after automation started, it now is in
excess of 6 minutes). Automation can only start up the system once OMVS is
fully initialized, and OMVS only initializes when the zFSs are all started.
Confused the hell out of me the first time it happened (I had just migrated
from SA/390 1.3 to 2.2 and the automation reply did not come) and still
confuses the operators.

We were told by IBM that is is due to the fact that we have the huge zFSs
for Lotus Notes, and that the long init is normal.

As for reliability, I am not sure it is more reliable. We had/have one
incident where a zFS had to be grown and after the mail server restart it
went into a high IO loop (500 SIOs per second instead of 100 in similar
cases). The trace records we could see look like the zFSs were corrupted.

And now lets not talk about IBM software support......

Regards, Barbara Nitz