I ran into a rather unusual problem yesterday. My SMP/E is lying to me.
I did a REPORT CROSSZONES to determine what maintenance is on my test
z/OS 1.4 system versus my production z/OS 1.4 system. I know that they
are at different maintenance levels because some of the ISMF panels are
different and some of the modules are different sizes.

The only thing that I can think of that could have happened is a failure
in a maintenance process (mine, not SMP/E's). What I do is "clone" my
running system to a new set of volumes (disk copy using DFDSS). I then
clip the new volumes to new volsers. I then update the SMP/E DDDEFs for
the production zone to point to these volumes. I apply maintenance. When
ready to test, I clip the new volumes back to the original volsers and
carefully IPL (due to duplicate volsers). Once up on the new volumes, I
clip the old production volumes to new names and back them up to tape.
Somewhere along the line, I must have royally messed this up. I have no
idea how, but I'll take the bullet for it.

Now, given a running system and an SMP/E zone which purports to describe
that system, is there any way to verify that the libraries and SMP/E are
properly synchronized? I'm thinking that there likely is not.

FWIW - what I did was really cheat. My test z/OS 1.4 system had all the
maintenance on it that I needed. So I simply created a "clone" of
production by using the test image libraries.

Thanks for any ideas.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.