In article <5978244080952028.wa.paulgboulderaim....@bama.ua.edu> you write:
>On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:01:36 -0800, Edward Jaffe  wrote:
>>
>>I've noticed for a long time now that every time you respond on IBM-MAIN it
>>starts a new thread in my mail client (Thunderbird). I finally decided to
>>compare headers from your non-threaded posts to other peoples' threaded posts.
>>What I see is that the requisite "In-Reply-To:" header element, necessary to
>>properly thread messages together, is missing from your responses. Is there
>>any
>>way to fix that?
>>
>I usually read and post to IBM-MAIN using the web interface.  So this seems
>to be a LISTSERV problem.  Is Darren IBM-MAIN's interface to L-Soft?

No, its not a problem, its just an artifact of how this list works.

You may not realize it but there are TWO entities called IBM-MAIN.
The second is the usenet group named "bit.listserv.ibm-main".

The mailing list has a gateway to the usenet group but there is no
reverse gateway.  There used to be but it was taken down due to abuse.

So if someone originates a post by sending it to the mailing list, it
will appear there and ALSO on the usenet group.  But if someone
originates a post on usenet, it will not be sent to the mailing list.
Google Groups is fed from usenet so it is complete.  The mailing list
archives are ONLY fed by the listserv so they will miss anything that
was only posted on usenet.

For folks who normally read usenet or Google Groups (which IS usenet
although Goggle would like you to believe otherwise) here is what I do
and what I suggest all usenet readers do also:

1) Subscribe to the mailing list.
2) Set yourself to NOMAIL on the listserv.
3) When responding to a usenet post, DON'T use Followup.  Instead use
   Reply and make sure that the email address gets set to:
   "To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu".

That way your response will be seen on both the mailing list and on
usenet, and will be in the IBM-MAIN archives at bama.

--
Rich Greenberg  Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 941 378 2097
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67