Ed Gould wrote:

On Jan 6, 2006, at 8:57 AM, Mike Baldwin wrote:

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:40:34 -0500, Gerhard Postpischil
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Perhaps I'm missing something here, and I don't remember 3590  hardware
details, but for my 3480 cartridges I've always used EXCP with CCW
opcode X'97' - Data Security Erase, chained to one Erase Gap. Works like
a charm.

The 3590 hardware details are only available from IBM through a  licence,
so if you have the licence you can find the opcodes in the
documentation; otherwise, don't feel bad about not remembering!

So unless you have trhe doc you have really no way of knowing what an erase really does? (does anyone know?)

Does anyone know for say a 3490 ?

I find it extremely odd that IBM would not document a device. If this a propietary interface the people that need to interface with the device must pay IBM big $$ ? Something is rotten in Denmark as they say.

IMHO it is documented, but the document is not available to everyone. Am I right with that ? I don't know what criteria must be met to get the document, maybe just few $$'s maybe a lot of $$'s, or (and) maybe some other, like having developer status. BTW: I remember discussion about dataset size (programatically obtained). Someone mentioned DFSMS documentation and their cost: 15 or 50 k$.

Is it fair ? I don't know. In fact, it should be compared to other vendors' practice.

Just my $0.02

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland