On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 04:39:45 -0600, Veena, Sridhar wrote:

>++HOLD(HAAWA10) FMID(HAAWA10) REASON(AM58699) ERROR DATE(12066)
> COMMENT(SMRTDATA(SYMP(DAL) CHGDT(120306)))
> CLASS(HIPER).
>
>++HOLD(HAAW910) FMID(HAAW910) REASON(AM58694) ERROR DATE(12060)
> COMMENT(SMRTDATA(SYMP(DAL) CHGDT(120229)))
> CLASS(HIPER).
>
>++HOLD(HADLA10) FMID(HADLA10) REASON(AM54484) ERROR DATE(12040)
> COMMENT(SMRTDATA(FIX(UK75991) SYMP(FUL)
> CHGDT(120209))) CLASS(HIPER).
>
>++HOLD(HADRA10) FMID(HADRA10) REASON(AM48159) ERROR DATE(12045)
> COMMENT(SMRTDATA(FIX(UK74162) SYMP(FUL)
> CHGDT(120214))) CLASS(HIPER).
>
>++HOLD(HADRB10) FMID(HADRB10) REASON(AM54307) ERROR DATE(12061)
> COMMENT(SMRTDATA(FIX(UK75928) SYMP(FUL)
> CHGDT(120301))) CLASS(HIPER).
>
>The first HOLD statement says do not apply SYSMOD HAAWA10 because there
>is an unresolved APAR AM58699 (HIPER).
>
>The second HOLD statement says do not apply SYSMOD HAAW910 because there
>is an unresolved APAR AM58694 (HIPER).

Error HOLDDATA does not tell you what to apply or not apply.
It tells SMP/E about known errors.  It also provides information
used by REPORT ERRORSYSMODS to tell you about error
SYSMODs that are on your system and (if available) the PTF
that resolves the error.  Additionally, REPORT ERRORSYSMODS
will tell you if there is a known error in the resolving PTF.

When you are applying a product that has an error hold, you
need to examine the APAR information and determine whether
you want to take the risk of running with the error.  An FMID
is a SYSMOD that provided a product or a part of a product.
If there is no resolving PTF.

If you need the function provided by FMIDs HAAWA10 and/or HAAW910

>Third HOLD statement says there is an APAR AM54484 on FMID HADLA10 but a
>fix PTF UK75991 is available.

Yes.  If UK75991 is applied (or accepted) at the same time
as HADLA10, the error hold will be resolved.  It is not the
FIX(UK75928) in the HOLDDATA that tells SMP/E this at apply
time, but the SUP(AM54484) that is in PTF UK75991.

>Does this mean I skip applying first two SYSMODs HAAWA10 and HAAW910, I
>will apply the third SYSMOD HADLA10 but follow it up with PTF UK75991
>apply.

Not quite.  You would not apply HADLA10 and follow it up with
UK75991.  You would apply them both at the same time.  One
way of doing that is to APPLY HADLA10 specIfying GROUPEXTEND.

HOLDDATA is not something for you to read and make decisions
about what to do.  You should download and RECEIVE it regularly
and run REPORT ERRORSYSMODS.  The report will list known
errors that are already applied to your system and tell you
whether there are fixes for those errors.

>What does it mean when they say obtain your latest HOLDDATA from IBM
>site and apply it?! Also, when exactly I choose to BYPASS the HOLD
>information?!

You don't APPLY HOLDDATA.  You RECEIVE it.  RECEIVE brings
it into your global zone so that the information may be used by
SMP/E during APPLY and ACCEPT processing.

All of the HOLDDATA that you showed is for function
SYSMODs.  An FMID is a product or part of a product at a
particular release level. If you have a need to apply that product,
you will try to apply it.  If your need for that release of the
product exceeds the risk of running without the fix to the problem,
you would BYPASS the error.

I don't know what HAAWA10 and HAAW910 are, but per the
normal FMID naming conventions, they are for two different
releases of the same product.  You would not likely have them
both on the same system.  Again, error HOLDDATA is not meant
for you to read.  It includes HOLDDATA for products that you
do not have and do not intend to install.

If the SYSMOD that was held was a PTF. you would examine
the APAR information for the error and for the APAR that the
PTF fixes.  You have to weigh the risks of running without the
PTF against the risk of running with the known error.

--
Tom Marchant