On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 06:48:52 -0800, Charles Mills wrote:

>PATH is not only under-specified in the JCL reference, it is also
>over-specified.
>
>- Is case-sensitive. Thus, /u/joe and /u/JOE and /u/Joe define three
>different files.
>
>Is not an aspect of the PATH= parameter, it is an aspect of the HFS.
>Logically they could change HFS tomorrow to be non-case-sensitive (granted,
>it ain't gonna happen -- I'm just talking logic here) without touching the
>PATH= code and the above sentence would no longer be true. Or I could write
>a product that mounted a remote Windows volume as an HFS volume and the
>above sentence would not be true. /u/Joe and /u/Fred are also different
>files, but that's an aspect of HFS, not of PATH=.

I very much agree.  Add, as aspects of the HFS, not of JCL:

o Multiple consecutive slashes are equivalent to a single slash, and even:

o The slash serves as a directory level separator.

o Any discussion that mentions the distinction between directories
  and filenames doesn't belong to JCL.

The JCL RM should leave the specification of the UNIX filesystem(s) to
another document, with citation (including page number), and mention
only the limitations peculiar to JCL (and allocation) such as:

o Pathnames must be absolute (start with "/")

o 255 character limit

o restriction on permissible characters

o (Others?)

-- gil