On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 6:46 AM, Farley, Peter x23353
<peter.far...@broadridge.com> wrote:
> Tim,
>
> In one of your replies over on the CICS-L list you gave this reasoning for
> the design decision to use static inclusion of this "common" module:
>
> "Just some background on why the static call to BA4C1426 was done in the
> first place.  This COBOL application is proprietary object-oriented
> programming (or as I like to call it obfuscation-oriented programming). So
> the BA4C1426 is the main data structure class that is a doubly linked list.
> So almost every class uses it, and to improve on performance they statically
> linked it into almost all of the classes."
>
> I would first question the application designers' original decision to
> statically include this module for performance reasons.  Did they actually
> measure the difference between static inclusion and dynamic calls to an
> external version of that data structure subroutine?  My (admittedly limited)
> understanding of the LE dynamic CALL mechanism is that reentrant dynamically
> CALLed modules are loaded only once and thereafter branched to directly
> (which obviously does include some LE overhead, but my unproved suspicion is
> that this LE overhead is quite small).

I'm guessing they measured again the COBOL dynamic call facility.
Based on current experience their is significant overhead associated
with the COBOL dynamic call facility as well as the C runtime program
fetch facility.

In both cases significant performance advantages can be gained by
creating a small assembler program to LOAD/DELETE the desired module.

In COBOL, the address of the LOADed module can be saved a variable
defined as USAGE FUNCTION-POINTER.  This allows a normal COBOL CALL
statement to be used.

In C just save the address of the loaded module in a variable defined
as a function pointer.

If the shop does not want to write their own load routine, LE provides
several facilities (ceeplod, ceeplod2 and ceeplodt) depending on the
requirements.