On 3/14/2012 11:22 AM, Pommier, Rex R. wrote:
Hi list,

I have a couple questions about commands that can be run from the console.

First of all, is there a console command that can be used to display the MAC
address of an OSA port?

Second, is there a console command to ping an IP address out an OSA port?

I scanned the manuals and didn't see anything for either of these.  Here's the
situation.  We're trying to bring up a new LPAR on a remote machine.  TCP/IP
comes up, and it activates 1 of the 2 OSA ports we're supposed to be using.
But we can't ping into the LPAR, and can't find any command that we could run
from the console to see if we can ping out.  Also, we are looking for the MAC
address of the 2 OSA ports to see if the switch is even seeing them.

As far as the HMC issue is, this is a z196 machine with a bunch of OSA cards in
it - 12 to be exact.  But if I go to the HMC, and look at the OSA advanced
facility screen, only 5 OSAs show up on that screen.  Shouldn't all the OSA
cards/ports show up on the HMC OSA ADV FAC screen?

The command:

D TCPIP,,N,ARP

will show the MAC address for each active interface.

I don't know of a way to ping from the console offhand, but
there may be one.

I would expect that the HMC would show all OSAs, but I only
have a z1BC with 4 cards so I can't say for sure what how
that many cards would be shown.

--
Richard